Friday, October 12, 2012

Quick & Easy Pasta Dish -- approved by RomneyRyan

Happy Friday!

Sorry it's been a couple weeks since I have last posted -- life has been a little crazy.  A couple weekends ago, a bunch of my friends and I took a school bus down to Blossom to see the Zac Brown Band.  It was a great concert and taking the bus down was a lot of fun.  My friend, Ses, was in town for the weekend from Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, she had to work the majority of the pre-game party at Kelly & Brittany's apartment due to a few unplanned conference calls...On a bright note, my friend Lauren came across some 'free' chairs and an umbrella while heading into the concert.

On the school bus, before heading into the concert

So happy in her new chair


Leggo!

I was also back home in Cincinnati last weekend to see the family -- minus my older brother Matt, who was in New York for a friend's wedding.  We got to see my mom run her first 5k race -- the 19th annual Reggae Run -- great job, Mom! My sister, Missy, my roommate, Lauren & I decided to head down to Hyde Park to watch her cross the finish line. Unbeknownst to us, we ended up walking half the race in order to get to the finish line -- in our uggs and carrying our purses.  We crossed the finish line at 59 minutes -- unfortunately missing our mom. :(  Also -- we parked so far away, that we ended up catching a ride back to our car....in an ambulance. Never a dull moment with our family...


Reggae 5k Race in Cincinnati, OH
Missy -- during our ride in the ambulance


I also got to meet my brother and his girlfriend's puppy, Cooper! He is a totally adorable little Golden Retriever. 

Cooper or Cooper Hawk, as  my dad calls him


And... I want to give a big congratulations to my sister, Missy and her fiance, Michael on their engagement!  Their engagement party is coming up and we have started planning their September 2013 wedding, so it will be a busy year! Little fun fact: My mom is being more of a bridezilla than my sister. Holy MOMzilla! ;)

Missy & Michael at dinner -- the night they got engaged



---


Now onto the pasta.  This is so quick, easy, and fairly healthy -- so it's great to make on a weeknight or in a pinch!  I typically have all of the ingredients on hand except one -- so it's definitely a good recipe to have on deck. Also, this pasta is a favorite of Paul Ryan!  He likes to eat it for protein and carbs after a hard P90X workout or even before a debate.



Workout_ryan
Paul Ryan, during his workout


My roommate thinks this pasta is better than anything a typical Italian restaurant serves...so at this time, I would like to challenge Carrabba's to a pasta cook-off. Carrabba's -- please contact me to discuss the time & place. 

Bell Pepper Pasta
Ingredients: 
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
  • Crushed Red Pepper – 1 tsp (1/2 tsp if you can’t handle heat)
  • Garlic – 3 cloves (chopped)
  • Onion – 1 medium (sliced)
  • Red Pepper – 1 medium (sliced)
  • Green Pepper – 1 medium (sliced)
  • Yellow Pepper (optional) 
  • Your favorite Marinara Sauce – 1 – 24 ounce bottle  ( My favorite brand is Classico -- I usually go with the Tomato & Basil)
  • Italian Seasoning – 2  tsp (initially) + 1 tsp (later)
  • Black Pepper – 1/2 to 1 tsp
  • Whole Grain Penne – 1 pound box
  • Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese – 1 cup
  • Shredded Parmesan Cheese ( optional)
  • Starchy Pasta Water – 1/4 cup
  • Cooked Chicken breasts/Shrimp (optional)
  • salt to taste
 Directions: 
**if you are using chicken or shrimp, cook and then add to pasta at the end. I have made without or with chicken. When I made with chicken, I just seasoned the chicken breasts and cooked in the oven on 350 for about 35 minutes.
1. Chop the garlic and slice the onion and bell peppers.
2. On medium heat, heat a wok/pan, add extra virgin olive oil, once hot add the crushed red pepper and garlic.
3. 4. After about 15 seconds, add the onion and bell peppers.  Season with salt.  Stir and allow the vegetables to saute for about 10 minutes.
4. Boil a pot of water for the pasta 
5. Add the marinara sauce to the vegetables.  Add the salt, black pepper, and 2 tsp of Italian seasoning to the sauce.  Stir.
6. Cover and allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes on low-medium heat.   
7. Once the water for pasta is boiling, add salt and a touch of EVOO if desired -- stir and add the pasta. Cook according to pasta directions. 
8. After the sauce is done cooking, add the ricotta cheese.  Stir.  Add an additional tsp of Italian seasoning and salt/pepper to taste
9. Once the pasta is done cooking, reserve a little starchy pasta water and drain.  Immediately add the pasta to the sauce.  Stir.
10. Add the 1/4 cup of starchy water.  This will help the pasta absorb the sauce.  Stir.
11. Garnish with red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese if desired.

Enjoy! :)  






Lauren & Matty

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment